Author Interview: Kody KeplingerSaturday, April 09, 2011
1. If The DUFF became a movie, who would you cast in the lead roles (Bianca and Wesley)?
For Bianca I'd either cast Mae Whitman (from Parenthood) or Ellen Page (Juno). Either would be perfect. Wesley, on the other hand, is a harder bit of casting. But I can see Jeremy Sumpter (Friday Night Lights) doing it well!
2. When did you first start writing?
I started writing before I could even write! I know that sounds crazy, but I would say my writing started with telling stories. The minute I was able to put down real words, the stories were written down. From there, I couldn't be stopped.
3. What were your influences to write this novel, The DUFF?
I'd say my biggest influences for THE DUFF were music (the song "I Can't Stay Away" by the Veronicas inspired the whole thing), and books by Judy Blume and Sarah Dessen really inspired me a lot, too. The honesty and humor both of them write with made a huge influence on me.
4. Where do you like writing? Where do you like reading?
My bedroom. For both. I do my best writing on my bed in my room. Same with reading.
5. If you were to describe your novel in three words, what would they be?
Funny, sexy, honest.
6. Who was your favorite character to create and write about?
Wesley was my favorite to write, hands down. I loved writing him so much! I was never sure exactly where his character would go.
7. Are you working on anything now? Can you tell us about it?
Well, I just finished final edits on my book SHUT OUT, which will be out in September! It's a romantic comedy, like the DUFF, but with a different feel to it. It's a modern reimagining of a Greek play - Lysistrata - about a girl who goes on a sex-strike to end a sports rivalry her boyfriend is a part of. I'm so excited for everyone to read it!
8. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
My best piece of advice is to never give up. There are going to be obstacles - rejections, writers block, etc - but every author faces them, even the best authors. So just keep trying.
9. When you’re not writing, what do you like to do?
I love playing on the internet. It's a terrible bit of procrastination, but I"m addicted to social media. Does that count as a past time? Haha.
10. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
The power to read minds. I am always wondering what others are thinking, and I'd love to just figure it out on my own with a little bit of magic.
1. Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
2. Favorite Movie: Cruel Intentions
3. Favorite Musical artist/group: Jack's Mannequin or Paramore
4. Favorite food: spaghetti
5. Favorite TV Show: Gossip Girl
I hope you enjoyed this great interview with Kody Keplinger. Do you love her as much as we do- check out her awesome website HERE. Want to know more about the really great book, The DUFF? Go HERE. And, among all that excitement, don't forget to check out our review on The DUFF HERE.